Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuesday 28 October - nailbiting finish!

Not liking the scale at the Virgin Active much today. After sending me very encouraging messages for the last few weeks, today it decides that my weight's gone up by over 2kgs in a week. I know that that's not the case, but now I'm starting to wonder how accurate the darn thing actually is ...

Oh well, arranged with Des (my trainer) that he'll do a full assessment next week Tuesday, to end the challenge.

He says I've been doing reasonably well so far, all things considered. He's trained other USN Challengers before, and some have even made it in the top 10, but he told me that usually those people have been working out for a while before they started the Challenge, or were already quite muscular but just a bit overweight (or have been 'pigging out' as he puts it) and that's why their results are at times so spectacular.

Me, on the other hand, I haven't been fit in over 20 years. Used to play a bit of soccer as a kid, but that's about it. So I think my progress is fairly representative for someone who's been a couch potato for many, many years, and then decides to do something about it.

I'm most definitely a lot more happy with the way I look now. It's not yet at the stage that I'd like to be, but I know I'll get there. We're leaving on holiday on the 12th of December so I've already told Des that he's stuck with me until at least then ... I'm afraid that if I just stop after the challenge is over, I'll go back to my old bad habits, as there won't be anything to spur me on and keep me motivated. I read once that for something to become a habit, you have to do it daily for at least 3 months. So the plan is to just go on after the challenge has ended, and make sure that I've got some sessions scheduled after the hols to make sure I get back into the saddle in Jan. Obviously I won't be posting daily updates then, but perhaps I'll post an update and a pic once a month or so, just to keep me focused and motivated ... We'll see how it pans out ...

No comments: